Friday, May 18, 2012

Tiergarten & Holocaust Memorial

On our way back from seeing the Berlin Victory Column, Rose and I walked through Tiergarten.
Tiergarten is the German word for Animal Garden and it takes up a huge part of west Berlin. The roundabout in the center of the map is the Victory Column.


It reminded me so much of Central Park in New York City. There were tall, beautiful trees all around, a river running through, and various statues throughout the park.



This is the Beethoven - Haydn - Mozart Monument, also called the Composers Memorial.


Here I am standing in front of Mozart (we go way back... and by that I mean I used to play his Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and Turkish March. No joke!)


I used to play this song on the piano too... but like ten times slower. This is Sonata in C major.


Rose and I then walked a short ways to the Holocaust Memorial. Wait, let me correct myself. This was actually called the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe.
Pretty blunt, don't you think?


We thought it was just a bunch of solid, gray blocks scattered around a courtyard between apartment buildings...


But the ground was actually leveled off a few feet lower than the sidewalk and the gray blocks were really, really tall. We were pretty impressed with this memorial.




This ends my Berlin experience. Berlin was pretty cool! Probably my second favorite trip besides Krakow.

No comments:

Post a Comment