Monday, May 21, 2012

A Few Words of Irish

When Ryan and I went to Kilkenny, we got this great free map from the hostel. When we got back to Dublin, I hung it up in my room, along with my other maps.
I'm leaving in a little over a week and am starting to take down all the posters and pictures in my room. This is a 'before' picture of my map wall.


And the Kilkenny map.


And the reason why I'm posting this is because of the bottom half of the paper. It says, "A Few Words of Irish". Luckily for Ryan and I, we didn't have to use any of these phrases. That's a good thing, because some of them are pretty strange... and a little out-dated. I can't imagine anyone asking me, "Any chance for a kiss?!"
Here is your Gaelic lesson for today!

Irish..                                            What it Means...                         How to pronounce it.....

Dia Dhuit                                      Hello                                             Dee-a Gwit
Conas atá tú                                 How are you?                               Kunnas a-taw too?
Ar fheabhas ar fad!                       Great altogether!                         Er ow-ss er fod!

An bhfuil pionta uait?                  Do you fancy a pint?                    On will pyunta oo-it?
Beidh an-chraic againn               We'll have a right craic                 Beg on-crack a-gwing
Ba bhreá liom gan dabht!            I'd love one without a doubt!       Baw vra lum gon dowt!
Ceann eile b'fhéidir?                     Another one perhaps?                   Ki-own ella bay-der?

Táim as mo mheabhair ar          I'm out of my mind drunk           Time oss muh viower er     meisce                                                                                                    meshka
An rachfaimid ag rince?             Will we go for a dance?                On rock-ha-meed eg rinka?
Aon seans póga?                          Any chance for a kiss?                  Ain shance po-ga?

Ceol agus Craic                            Music & fun                                  Ke-ole og-uss crack
Ól agus Craic                               Drink & fun                                   Ole og-uss crack
Go n-eirí an bother leat               May the road rise before you       Guh ny-ree on bo-hir lat
                                                           (Good luck)

1 comment:

  1. These could come in handy sometime! I'll have to try them out at the Irish bar in Ames soon.


    Táim as mo mheabhair ar meisce....An rachfaimid ag rince?...Aon seans póga?...Ceann eile b'fhéidir?...Ar fheabhas ar fad!

    ReplyDelete