Saturday, May 19, 2012

Things I Will Miss About Ireland

My time here is coming to a close and I am starting to realize a few things that I will miss about being here. Now, these are just a few things off the top of my head, not all of them. Like I said, I am a very lazy busy girl! I don't have time to blog all the time!

1. I will miss the accents. Irish accents are so dreamy, I tell you. When Rose and I were in Barcelona, the last day was spent making fun of people and sleeping in the airport. After five days in a terrible city that made us hate our lives, we were SO ready to go home. At first in the airport, we spent a few hours sleeping in a deserted area with chairs, but later made our way to some benches near a cafe and the terminals. Rose looked at me and said something about how we picked a terrific spot to sit. I was confused... until I heard the family behind us, speaking with Irish accents! Literally the best sound in the world! I will always associate Irish accents with happy times (and Spanish accents with horrible times... but that is another story).
2. I will miss how everyone uses reusable bags here. I haven't seen a plastic bag in so long and I love it. We've seen older ladies drag small suitcase-like bags on wheels throughout stores and they are just so convenient!
3. I will miss having my own bathroom. It's a small convenience but it makes being a hermit so easy!
4. I will miss all this free time. I have had so much "me time" over the last four months and it has been absolutely wonderful. I thrive on alone time. Especially since classes have ended, there isn't a lot to do around here in Santry, so I've taken advantage of it by sleeping in, catching up on Lost and doing a lot of reading and writing!
5. I will miss living in Dublin! I love Dublin! I love it so much I almost want to get James Joyce's quote, "When I die Dublin will be written in my heart" tattooed on me somewhere. I have a long list of things I love about Dublin in my head and may blog about it someday, but for now I'll keep it short. I will miss this city a lot.


And of course I have to write about things I will not miss!

1. I will not miss my living situation at all! Sure, it's really nice having my own room and bathroom and huge window (I'm a sucker for natural light), but it has not been made up for with our terrible Spanish flatmates. They are disgusting, lazy, loud and do not clean up their messes in the kitchen. They also stalked us on Twitter for some time, but that is another story. I know I speak for Rose when I say that they are the absolute worst flatmates we have ever stayed with and we have many, many stories to back that up.
2. I will not miss the weather. We have only seen a handful of beautiful, sunny days since we've been here. Other than that, it is always cloudy, usually rainy, and sometimes cold. It is amazing how the weather can affect your day.
3. I will not miss how much traveling I've done the last four months. I'm talking about actual traveling, the process, the in-transit, the airplane rides and train rides and walking with heavy suitcases to the hostel. That part absolutely stinks. I have had my fill of airplane rides for a while and am really not looking forward to my 8-hour plane ride back to the US.
4. I will not miss how everything is in Euros here. The exchange rate isn't that good (but it's better than the British Pound), so everything is a little bit more expensive. I've spent so much money while I've been here and I am looking forward to saving some money this summer.
5. I will not miss how far away I am from my family and friends! I am 3600 miles away from southeast Wisconsin and six hours ahead. It sometimes seems so unreal that I'm this far away from home, and I will be so happy to be back in good old Wisconsin soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment