Thursday, April 19, 2012

Revelations

I've had some revelations while I've been here! Get ready, because I'm about to share them with you.
What am I listening to, you ask? Olly Murs, of course! This music video has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm writing about, but I always like background music when I'm reading. Have a listen while you read on.


I haven't driven or ridden (rode?) in a car since January. The only exception is that I've sat in the backseat of a taxi a couple of times. (What's even better is that I'm working on Mackinac Island this summer, and there are no cars on the island, just horses, buggies and bicycles. I just hope I'll still remember how to drive when I come home in September)
I've found that travelling with someone is so much more fun than travelling alone. I am one of those odd people who like being on their own instead of around people, and even I got lonely when I traveled to Galway for a weekend.
You think it's great getting snail mail in the states? It's even better when you're living abroad! I love opening my mailbox and finding a letter or getting an e-mail saying I have a package waiting at the front office. I know that people care when I'm getting mail that's coming from a different county.
I've had three glasses of diet coke (yes, I've counted) since I've been here. One at Eddie Rockets, one at Spar and one at Subway.
I find pennies, either one cent, two cent or five cent, on the ground pretty much every day. The pockets in my jacket always have small change in them.
Whenever I need food at the grocery store, I have had to walk to the grocery store and then back to my flat. I've never had to walk to the grocery store to get groceries! Rose and I sometimes feel spoiled that we have everything at our fingertips in the states. Here it is much different. I can't exactly drive to the pharmacy to pick up medicine, I have no idea where the closest hospital is, and I haven't sent out any packages just for the reason that the main post office is a half hour bus ride into the city (But I am sending out some packages this week, so watch out for a package, you lucky ducks!)
One thing I'm definitely taking back with me to the states is how reusable bags are used here. Some stores, such as Superdrug, New Look and Eason Books will give you paper bags, free of charge, to put your purchases in. With Tesco, Spar, Penney's and other chains, you must bring your own bag or buy one while you're there. I think this is such a great idea and I'm definitely going to be that girl who takes her fashionable reusable bag with me when I go grocery shopping. This is a great article about reusable bags and how great they are: http://www.emagazine.com/daily-news/reusable-bags-the-irish-way 
I've also learned that if you don't laugh at yourself and your situations, you will have a miserable life. This goes for everyone, everywhere, not just me here studying abroad. This experience is so irreplaceable, and something I've learned here is that LIFE. GOES. ON. And it's a lot more pleasant if you're able to laugh at your mistakes, inconveniences and situations.
One of my "life goes on" mottos is printed on this poster.


No comments:

Post a Comment