Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Barcelona -- Catalunya & Cool Buildings

Look, a map of Spain! This should put things in perspective.




Rose and I went into the city this day, Friday April 6, and had plans to walk north up Passeig de Gracia (which in English means Gracia Avenue). It's one of the vertical streets right in the  middle of this map.
There is also a street, Avinguda Diagonal, the long street that cuts Barcelona in half, and it messed me up when we were walking around trying to find La Sagrada Familia.




We started out at Placa de Catalunya, which is a large, square, central station where many buses, trains and subways stop.


It started raining a little bit while we were there, and I thought I was in Ireland for a minute!


Then we made our way a few blocks up to Casa Batllo.



It was built by Antoni Gaudi between 1904 and 1906 and once housed the Batllo family. The walls were all very smooth and curvy, and many of the walls had beautifully colored mosaic patterns on them.
Casa Batllo consists of a ground floor, a main floor, a courtyard, four more floors, a loft and a roof terrace. It was absolutely beautiful!


This is the flat roof, which Rose and I thought would be a great place to have roof parties. It had a great view of the city.
The wavy roof barrier that is behind me is said to be the backside of a dragon. The mosaic tiles are the dragon's scales.


Blue was definitely the color of the house. It reminded me of the tiles in my bathroom, even though Gaudi was going for a sea themed house.



We then passed Casa Mila, which was also built by Antoni Gaudi. We didn't go inside because the line snaked around for two blocks!



We then found La Sagrada Familia, which is where I will start my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment