Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Night I Fell In Love With Olly Murs

It was just around sunset when Rose and I heard the music coming from MTV Presents Titanic Sounds. We stood at the entrance, hoping a policeman or bouncer would take pity on us and let us in for free. Unfortunately, it didn't happen.

The crowds of people were already inside the gates, however instead of immense crowds around us, we found ourselves in the proximity of a homeless man with his shopping cart of supplies and clothes and a very, very intoxicated man who was peeing in the middle of the sidewalk! Rose and I were watching this drunk man, and after he zipped up his pants, he went over to a father and his two kids and put his hand on the father's back, all friendly-like, and tried to shake his hand. I was so grossed out, I was almost going to throw up! The daughter is probably scarred for life.
We watched more drunk people walk through the gates, and we especially liked the women who tottered over the cobblestone and rocky entrance way to the gates. Pairing high heels with uneven grounds and alcohol is a recipe for disaster. Rose and I found it hilarious and laughed so hard when someone stumbled onto their friend.
We watched the drunk man get taken away by the police as well as a few more drunk people being kicked out of the event. It was a good time, even though we were freezing.


We stood right outside the gates, making up a plan of how we could get into the concert, when all of a sudden a couple came up to where we were standing and sneakily gave us their tickets. The woman said, "You can have ours, we're not going back in there. You can try to see if they will work!" (Why they left before Olly Murs came on was beyond me!)
Rose and I gave each other looks, but we weren't going to pass up an opportunity like this. We  thanked the couple and gave each other pep talks for when we were going to sweet talk the guards at the gate.

The guard scanned our ticket and we played dumb, saying we didn't know we couldn't go back in. He believed us, or felt sorry for us, and said we could enter. Rose and I couldn't believe it! We were in the concert, and all it cost us was doe eyes and a few smiles! We walked through the crowd while listening to Katy B on stage.



We pushed through the crowd of mostly 16 year old girls (while that happened I lost my lens cap to my Canon camera! Sad day. But it was worth losing for seeing Olly Murs up on stage. Plus, what do lens caps cost, like $5?) found a great place to stand, to the left side of the stage, with the Titanic Museum as a backdrop behind the stage. We heard a few songs from Katy B before Olly Murs performed! And I swear, when this song started playing and when he sneaked around from the back of the stage, all the girls around me starting screaming his name! I felt like I was 14 again! 
There is something so thrilling about being in the middle of a crowd in an outdoor concert listening to great music.




This is one of my favorite songs by him, Dance With Me Tonight.


This was probably one of the best nights I've had since I've been in Ireland! It was all luck and chance, and we were ready to give up a few times because it was so cold, but I'm glad we waited it out and that a nice couple was willing to give us their old tickets! 
The concert got over around 11. There were buses giving free rides back to the city center, right across from City Hall, and we hopped on one and then scurried back to our hostel.


No comments:

Post a Comment