Friday, March 2, 2012

A Week of Scotland: Day 5

Have you always wanted to know various slang words with a Scottish accent? Have you always wanted to learn Scottish slang?? You've come to the right place because I'm about to teach you a a Scottish language lesson!


Potato = tattie. As in, "I had a tattie for lunch today!"
Around = aroun. As in, "Our hostel was aroun the corner."
Bad tempered = crabbit. As in, "My sister is a crabbit."
Idiot/fool = eejit. As in, "You're such an eejit!"
Nagging = nippin. As in, "My mother keeps nippin me."
Mouse = moose. As in, "There's a moose in the house!"
Small = wee. As in, "Look at that wee moose."
Cow = coo. As in, "We went on a tour bus around the highlands of Scotland and saw some coos!"


True story.



Here's a bit of Scottish culture: The Proclaimers came from here. Have a listen to their famous song by clicking here: http://youtu.be/tM0sTNtWDiI





We got to feed them bread!





After seeing the coos, we drove home.
Lucky for us, the Hairy Coo Bus Tour was FREE. It ran on a tip-only basis. How they made money was beyond me. Rose and I scurried away from the bus as fast as we could so we didn't have to leave a tip. It was a great tour! But as poor college students, our intent was that we couldn't afford to spend money on rash things.

Later that night, we were hanging out in our hostel, looking up our bus schedule on the computer for the next morning. We met a French guy names Jules and his friend, who I talked to most of the night but whose name I forgot.. oops.  They both live in Germany and were really nice and talkative. Jules invited us to go out, but Rose and I had to get up early for our flights the next morning so we agreed not to stay out too late.
Jules led us to a classy bar by our hostel, and he ended up buying our wine for us. We talked and talked and then met up with Jules' friend Harold. Being our first night going out, Rose and I had a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment