Tuesday, March 20, 2012

St Patrick's Day in Dublin is so classy!

When I got home later that on St Patrick's Day and up until yesterday, pictures of St Patrick's Day parties went up on Facebook. Most of my friends are those who go to UW-Whitewater, and I saw all these pictures of my friends getting drunk at house parties and at bars, wearing crude t-shirts and anything green they could find. It wasn't anything new. I've seen pictures of my friends going out, but in comparison to the classy day I had in Dublin, it made me a little disgusted.
Some shirts that I saw on Facebook said things like "Sham Rack City Bitch" "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!" "Irish today, hungover tomorrow" "I love drunk sluts" and "Blow kiss me, I'm Irish!"
In Dublin, didn't see anything even remotely close to what those t-shirts said. At the parade, people were wearing simple, celebratory t-shirts, basic green, white and orange hats, kids had their faces painted and others dyed their hair green.







I wasn't in Dublin when it was late, so maybe the crude t-shirts and drunkards came out then, but what I got from the day was that Dublin celebrates St Patrick's Day in style and class, whereas Whitewater celebrates St Patrick's Day by seeing who gets wasted first and then having everyone catch up.
If I were to spend St Patrick's Day in Dublin or Whitewater, I'd pick Dublin, every time.

1 comment:

  1. Everything about this is so perfect. So honorable :)
    Those t-shirts around Whitewater? OOF. Please proceed to gouge out my eyes presently.
    You're totally right, Americans drink with the expressed goal of getting hammered drunk. Despite how much the Irish seem to drink, they still drink reasonably.

    Summed up?
    Classy, not trashy. Yes please.

    ReplyDelete