Friday, March 16, 2012

And I Lost My Heart To A Galway Girl

I took a train to Galway this week!
Thanks to my good friend Ian, he reminded me of this song, Galway Girl, which was in the movie P.S. I Love You.


I left Wednesday morning on the 11:30 train out of Heuston Station. I ended up getting there AN HOUR EARLY, which never, ever happens. I'm usually late! So I bought a Jodi Picoult novel (and finished it in two days. There's something about Jodi Picoult novels that are just so irresistible!), and I people watched.
We boarded at 11, and these trains were nice! They reminded me of Amtrak trains, with the wide, comfortable seats and table between four seats.


I got the fortune of having a quad seating area all to myself, until an Orlando Bloom look-a-like sat down across from me. Best trainride ever? You better believe it. We talked a little, but he was French, and I'm probably the worst at understanding how French people talk. 
We got to Galway at 2. I ended up walking a full circle around Eyre Park, when I needed to go to the red target. I was lost, obviously. But I asked a native and he was really nice and showed me where to go.


I stayed at Snoozles Hostel! I'm not joking.


It wasn't bad, especially compared to the hostel we stayed at in London. I dropped my backpack off (that's right. I fit a two-day excursion into a backpack! That has never happened before. I should win an award or something) and walked around Galway.
Galway has a population of just over 75,000 people, which surprised me because it didn't seem that big to me.
Galway is centered on the River Corrib. That is Abhainn Na Gailimhe (The Galway River) in Irish, and is named after Galvia, a mythological princess who was said to have drowned in the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment