Sunday, March 18, 2012

Inis Mór, Aran Islands

During my second day in Galway, I booked a trip to the Aran Islands. 




It was 24 euro, which I think is a pretty good deal for an hour bus ride to and from Ros a Mhíl, and a 45-minute ferry ride to and from the island. A bus picked us up near my hostel, and we drove for almost an hour to Ros a'Mhíl. The smart girl in me told me to buy a book to read on the bus, and I picked up another Jodi Picoult novel: Sing You Home. 
It was raining, of course, but luckily the ferry was enclosed. It was also very crowded and I didn't get a window seat (not like there was anything to see) so I read my book the whole way there. I couldn't complain!
When we got off the ferry on Inis Mór at the main town of Kilronan, I realized that I had no idea where to go or what to do! That's when the dumb girl in me thought, I should have done some research about the island before I jumped on a ferry and planned on spending a whole day here.




A bit o' history for ya: 
+ Inis Mór means "the big island", Inis Meáin means "middle island" and Inis Óirr means "island of the east".
+ There are about 850 residents on Inis Mór.
+ Irish is the first language of the inhabitants of this island, but they are all bilingual. 
+ There are three types of transportation on this island: bicycles, horses and buggies, and mini bus (which double as tours and taxis at night).




This island reminded me a lot of Mackinac Island, especially when I saw all the bicycle hire buildings with all their bicycles parked out front.


Inis Mór doors!

 

2 comments: