Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Book of Kels: An Introduction

The reason my blog is so cleverly named The Book of Kels is because of a Gospel book written close to the year 800.  That book is named The Book of Kells.  There are four volumes of The Book of Kells, set on display at Trinity College in Dublin.




Thanks, Ryan, for the clever title :)


I've been in Dublin for almost a week and I'm still getting used to it. I am housemates with Rose and two girls from Spain who have a horrible habit of staying up late, not cleaning up their messes and slamming doors. Maybe it's a Spain thing?
Classes started yesterday, and my favorite class so far is Belief and Communication, taught by an old Irish man who talks in a wispy, philosophical tone.  Listening to my professors talk with an Irish accent is getting easier, although if I've noticed if I tone out what they're saying and focus on the way they slantedly say "you know" or "all right", it sounds like a rumbling, rolling continuum. There are no breaks in their speech, unless it's an "um" which with their accent sounds like an "am", and it's drawn out, so it's really like "ammmm".

More observations to come! Until next time, slán!  That's Irish for goodbye, if you didn't read my article in the Royal Purple and didn't know ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment